Subject: Re: How to get a Glass/Ice Surface
From: [email-masked] (Adam Ives Chrystie)
To: "Wing On, Wong" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 1995 17:21:00 -0700

Wing On: (That's a Kewl name)

>Finally, I would like to know what's the actual difference between 'trace 
>reflection' and 'trace refraction'. I don't quite understand about the 
>mnual mentioned and the meanings of these terms in Chinese is quite 
>confusing..  
>
>Thank you for your kind attention.  
>
>Wing On,

Trace Reflection: When selected, this tells LightWave to calculate
reflections for  ALL objects within the 3D world. For example, if you have a
mirror object,  90% reflective and a red ball in front of the mirror you
will not see the red ball in the mirror if you do not have trace reflections
turned selected! If you supply a reflection map for the mirror, you will see
the map..but not the red ball. I think background color will also show up in
the mirror with no trace reflections selected.
     IF you select TRACE REFLECTIONS, then you will see the Red ball in the
mirror.

Trace Refraction: When selected , LightWave will BEND the light as it passes
through transparent objects. What does this mean? Well, look through a glass
cup or place a stick through water..notice how the objects seen through the
glass or water tend to get distorted? either shrunk or enlarged or twisted
or bent or or or :)? All elements, materials, objects have their own
refractive index...the toster manual contains some..I will email you a list
if your manual did not have them  just tell me..others can be found i think
in geology books or other science boks from a library.....refraction is only
used on transparent objects..and it DOES BURDEN THE COPUTER...makes it show
on an amiga...

Adam Chystie
-----------------------------------------------------------
Adam Chrystie [email-masked]
University Of California at Santa Cruz
-----------------------------------------------------------

--
[email-masked] (Adam Ives Chrystie) sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]